Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Atheist in a Foxhole

Yesterday I went with Billie to UCSF to meet the team of doctors who will take my case from here. Like the first day I heard I had leukemia, there was a lot of blunt reality spoken. I asked for a prognosis and I got it with both barrels.
"You know why you're here don't you." asked the doctor."
"Yes.... It's the Flt3." I replied.
We then talked about options in protocol. One option would be the autologous stem cell transplant. That involves using my own cells to regenerate my blood. The prognosis for that would be a 20% survival rate. The other option would be the allologous transplant. That is when the donor is from someone else, preferably a sibling. The chances of a sibling match is 1 in 4 so I have pretty good odds there. The average outcome from an allologous transplant would be a 40% survival rate. Considering that if I do nothing, the survival rate is 0%, then I don't have much choice.
If the leukemia doesn't kill me then the treatment might. There is a death rate of 15% just from the treatment.
The factors that I have going for me is that I am relatively young and tough. The survival rates are skewed by others who were not so young or as tough.
In about a week I will be admitted to the hospital in SF for a round of consolidation chemotherapy. I will be sent home after that for about a month and then the fun really starts. I will then be given a round of chemo that will erase my bone marrow completely. When it is a blank slate then that is when the transplant will take place. During the recovery time that will be from 3 to 6 months I will be extremely weak and vulnerable to infections. During that time we will need to live close to the hospital in SF. Billie and I will need to find a place to live. I hear there is a nice trailer park in Pacifica. I am not sure if they allow dogs though.
I have a coordinator that will help with all the arrangements. Her name is Lisa. She will be contacting all my siblings soon and sending them a kit that they can take to a local lab where they can be tested for compatibility.
Right now I fell pretty good and am enjoying life here at our house in Sacramento. This morning I put on my roady garb and I took my old steel Colnago out for a spin in the neighborhood. I had to be careful to not get going too fast and get lightheaded. I still have a very low red cell count so I have to be careful. No old ladies on mountain bikes were able to pass me.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you weren't passed by any old ladies Mike. Why do you have the FLT3 variant. Is that a familial thing? My dad had ALL but was a very unhealthy old SOB. Any chance I could be a donor match?

    grantie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,
    It was good to speak to Billy Tuesday as you were driving in SF after your appt and you were lost on O'Farrell....been there!
    Really enjoy your posts. You are an excellent writer- come to think of it, seems all the Callahan siblings are too...some kind of gene...maybe from Dad's side as Aunt Ann is also amazing writer...and Uncle Phil of course....
    Interesting and so good that you will be if San Francisco , the ancestral home of the Ainsas...and now our Hope is there too and you have Marianne and Maura so close.
    About SF, I know from Dad's work that the Ainsas were well off grocers and must have been as Hispanics devout Catholics. At the University of San Francisco where Hope goes to school there is a cathedral that dates with the found of USF which goes back 150 years or so... when our Ainsas were high society there..so I have thought that probably some Ainsas might have also gone to USF as it was the only university in SF. You are going to be cured in our ancestral hometown.
    Hmmmm- the title is "Atheist in a Foxhole"...
    Since the saying goes "There are no atheists in the foxholes" does this imply that my dear brother is bordering on no longer being an atheist?
    Much love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mike,
    Ken G. sent me your blog link. We have a friend that just passed his one year mark with this same deal. He is doing very well. Knowing your past toughness & grit I trust you will do the same.
    Sending all the best your way.
    Hang tough.
    Jeff L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike.....Just got our copy of Dog and Driver and saw your box at the bottom of your article.
    What a shock! Laura and i have been out of the loop for awhile (a small matter of bladder cancer that Laura is being treated for). Nasty stuff this cancer. Anyway, we wanted to send you and Billie our love and good thoughts. You are a true fighter and can beat this thing. Let us know if there is anything that we can do.
    Hugs, Jane Smith & Laura Crocker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike and Billie. Stunned. Just heard from Jane about the battle. Been through this with family...so know it it is so tough on you both. What can we do? Rog is in Sac 4 days a week. I am in SF quite a bit as oldest son and sister live in the area. Need help temporarily or full time with some or all dogs? We have plenty of space here at the farm and anchor fence. Love you both. Have a candle burning. Let us know if there is anything at all we can do. Eileen and Roger.

    ReplyDelete