Friday, September 4, 2009

I've Been Sick

   During the time since my last post I have been running high fevers and sleeping an awful lot.  I had another outbreak of painful mouth sores that throbbed day and night.  I was able to knock back the pain with narcotics most of the time.  When I was awake I was only half awake.  If I sat up and tried to read then I would find myself falling asleep in a short while.  Since Wednesday I have gone cold turkey off the narcotics.  I still endure some painful swallowing but I have a clearer head. The fever still lingers.  I have to remember to drink lots of water to stay hydrated and to quell the fever.  When I sleep for longer than a few hours then my fever creeps up and I have to endure more poking from the lab.  The lab cultures my blood to see if there is an infection.  At one point I had a staph infection but the doctor managed to knock that back with another cocktail of antibiotics.
  Now for the good news.....  My bone marrow biopsy results came back on Monday and it showed no detectable cancer in my marrow.  There was no detectable anything else either.  My marrow is at present empty.  Slowly my blood numbers are supposed to start coming up on their own.  When my white blood cells are high enough I will be discharged for a while.  I will still have to come back for further doses of chemotherapy.  
   I didn't think I would be lapsing from posting here for so long.  I will try to be a little more frequent from now on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment