Saturday, August 29, 2009

Norco Haze

  This past week has gone by in a  haze of norco, benedryl, and morphine.  I spent much of my time sleeping.  I was barely waking long enough to read a few short pages before I would doze off again.  I developed a sore throat on Tuesday and it raged all week.  I think that today I am finally on the other side of this episode.  I am getting a lot of transfusions.  This week I was given four units of red cells and three units of platelets.  
 Yesterday I had another bone marrow biopsy.  I won't know the results until Monday.  A good result would be no detectable cancer in my marrow.  
  I was able to write an article for Dog and Driver Magazine.  I compare training dogs using a scooter and a bike.  I prefer the scooter.   I am trying to get ISDRA to only sanction one rig for the one and two dog classes. Right now the classes are broken up into bikejoring and scootering.  The scooter field is profoundly diluted.  Most competitors are bikejoring.  I have done a lot of bikejoring and I know it is a much more dangerous way to run dogs.  The problem is that most people already own a bike.  It is going to be tough to get all my competitors to buy a scooter.  
  Universal Sports is streaming  the entire Vuelta de Espana live.  This will help make my next three weeks a lot more interesting.   Today is the prologue.  There are two American teams in this years Vuelta.  For some reason the race is starting in Holland.  This race marks the return of Alexander Vinokourov who is coming off a 2 year suspension for blood doping.  He just started to a deafening silence. 
  This past week I have been following the news of Jaycee Lee Dugan.  I remember when she was kidnapped in 1991.  The cold case has haunted the Lake Tahoe communities for all these years.  Reading all the comments about the articles I am shocked about how many people are ready to torture and kill the perps.  I think the death penalty just brings the people and the state down to the level of the perps.  I am ashamed that my country still sanctions the death penalty.  We are down there with Iran, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia and a bunch of other great countries like that.  

2 comments:

  1. man mike... last week you were feeling well enough that I thought you were going to take me up on offer to help you excape that place.
    I will be watching the tour of Spain too. I don't have cable but ever since the HD conversion I have been receiving the U.S Network for free over the air. Its the only thing good on T.V. other than PBS and the Ken Burns series on the National Parks that is coming up in September. Should be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your dog blog and just noticed this one. Thank you for sharing your knowledge of dogs and mushing!

    Please take care of your self as best you can and keep writing for those of us still learning.

    I'll be reading and watching...

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete