Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tour of Denial Stage 1

  The snow melts earliest on one of my favorite trails for mountain biking.  By then I am ready to hang up my XC skis.    This past winter I skied a lot less because I don't like to ski without dogs.  I wasn't skiing at night. I barely did any skiing on weekends.  Out of character for me, I had let myself go a little.  

   I can ride out my house and be on the singletrack  after one block of riding pavement.   It is my dream to ride that early in the spring at Lake Tahoe.   As usual I try to get on my bike at the first possible moment after the snow melts. 

  I was just a little out of line with my usual fitness goals for the early spring.  The first mountain bike ride was not that unusual.  I had to push over a few patches of snow.  I had to push up a steep pitch that I would be riding up in a few weeks because that was the way it always was in early spring.   I shed my ski legs and put on my riding legs.   

 In a few days all the snow had melted on my trail.   

  My three dog team languished a little towards the end of the ski season because of my diminished program training them.  Soon though, my team was up to top speed riding a fast four mile trail in the Martis Valley near Truckee.   The rig of preference is a scooter with 26 inch wheels and front suspension.   Three dogs was above the maximum I would allow my self to scooter behind.  I rotated my little team so that I always ran at least two dogs.  

  So far, my early riding and dog scootering season was progressing like any normal year.

No comments:

Post a Comment