Friday, August 21, 2009

My Artificial Immune System

   All of us hear every day from Jamie Lee Curtis and thousands of other sources about the immune system.  This or that remedy or potion will "boost" your immune system.  Everybody is aware that we have an immune system.  It is the buzzword of the decade.  We have become deadened to the concept and we think we know all about it now.  Move on to the next Oprah episode. 
   Actually most people do not understand the immune system.  There are whole fields of science dedicated to the immune system and millions of physicians publishing papers every day about new studies.  We still have a lot to learn about our immune systems.  It may just be a buzzword to the public but in the real world of real science it is serious business.  
  Right now my immune system is tethered to me.  My IV pole has a cocktail of antibiotics and an assortment of other drugs.  I take anti virals, anti fungals and and several other drugs that are designed to kill any hostile organism that can potentially be lethal. The common cold could kill me in the condition I am in.  If I didn't walk into the emergency room the day I did I probably would have died the next day.  I had what they called "bled out".  I had almost no more blood left .  My bloodstream was full of cancer cells
 Right now my white blood cell count that is there for me to fight disease is about 40 times lower than the level I need for a minimum to be discharged from the hospital.  My red cells are so low that I need transfusions about every four days.  I also need regular platelet transfusions to help me clot in case I start bleeding from the most minor insult.  
  It is important that everyone understand this because for the next few weeks I could die easily from the slightest insult.  In a few weeks after more chemotherapy my blood numbers should start climbing.  That time I may be able to take visitors.  In the meantime I will have to only allow siblings and Billie to visit me.  
  I am used to living alone and I am not the type of personality that knows what boredom is.  I have this laptop with plenty to write about and an infinite amount of research to do with the help of the internet. I have Billie visiting me every day twice a day and that is the best situation there is at this moment in time.
   Right now we are just trying to be cautious.  In a little while I will be able to see you all.  I am getting the best of care.  I love all my family and friends but you are all also vectors that could deliver the lethal dose of some opportunistic disease.  I am driving this point home because it is so important.  It is all about the choice between death and survival.  I want survival. This disease is cancer in one of it's most ugly manifestations.  My doctor told me today that Lance Armstrong had a pretty easy row to hoe compared to what I will have to go through. Keep your hopes up and I will do all I can to insure that I make it through this episode in our lives

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Mike. You are right about us not understanding our immune system. I am learning more from you. I have found in recent times how very much I don't know or understand about how the body works. I seem to only know about the parts that have been a medical problem of some sort. Little my little I am learning more. Partly because there are more parts to treat as time goes by. I know also how valuable the internet is. In this day I find that being informed is important each time I see a doctor. It helps them and it helps me if I have done some homework.
    Deni is such a great resource. I would choose her for my doctor if I could.
    You know who else is a really nice person with a lot of knowledge? Gene and Christie's friend John Brimlow. He helped educate me with some problems I had...a big help.
    I found the blog on Meghan's reply to you. Little by little I am finding my way around.
    Keep Blogging and thanks!
    Fran

    ReplyDelete