Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Denial

  Most everyone has heard the athletes axiom,  "No pain.  No gain."   The saying has always  befuddled  me at least as much as the concept of the Holy Trinity.   For me the saying should go,  "No gain.  No fun."  Whether running or cycling, the act of going fast, faster and ball's out, has always equaled fun, more fun and as fun as it gets.  Where is the pain?  I don't get it.  
  For this reason I resemble my lead dog Mojo and the rest of my dog team more than any human I know so far.  Mojo  also thinks that running is fun, more fun and more fun than eating. 
  Am I in denial?  I honestly don't think so.  Perhaps I am a hedonist.  I won't deny myself any fun. I can't explain it.  It may be explained perhaps by Oliver Sacks,  but I don't get it. 
   I might have inhaled too many lead (Pb) fumes as a child while watching my dad make the million or so bullets that he was always busy shooting. He liked to shoot and I loved to make lead toy soldiers and cannons with my own lead.  Could the Pb in me from 1959 explain why I have Acute Myeloid Leukemia?  I doubt it.   Might it explain why I am a Chico State graduate and not Berkeley material?   I don't know.
 

2 comments:

  1. As to why Chico, not Berkeley...I think you were simply an amazing slow bloomer. The best things take time.
    Enjoyed talking to you. When I asked you if you ever got bored under these circumstances, I loved your answer "Bored- I don't know that word. I've never been bored! How can anybody be bored? I don't understand it "!
    You have a beautiful life to walk back into so
    be strong,keep getting well and have a great day.
    Love you, Nancy

    ReplyDelete