Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Breakout!!

If all goes well over the weekend, I am going to be discharged next Monday the 23rd, just 17 days after my bone marrow transplant. I was completely surprised that it would be this soon. We had anticipated this just in case and we will be able to move into our little apartment near Merced Lake. Billie will come to the Hospital tomorrow and learn what it will take to be my caretaker. Mostly that will be flushing my IV line that is poking out of my chest. She will also have to dispense a few meds.
My blood counts are rising fast. All my doctors are surprised that the graft is taking this well this soon. Riding daily on the spin bike and walking the halls has kept my strength up. I will enjoy riding the streets of the city while I recover. Don't worry. I will be very careful and not let myself get hit by a car or crash. Billie and I can ride together or take short road trips in the car. I might not miss the whole mushroom season after all. By mid February it will be 100 days and I might be able to move back to Sacramento. There my next project will be to remodel the Sacramento house. The Tahoe house is going to be our vacation home. I might not be able to do real work until next summer if all goes well. During that time Billie and I hope to come up with some nice ideas for the remodel.
This tour of UCSF has gone very well so far. The doctor today said that I'm the rock star on this wing. He was saying that another patient wanted to know what it was going to be like to get a transplant here. The doctor said he should send that patient over to talk to me. "Oh yeah. Cake walk". I had only one very minor infection that a little vancomycin was able to beat back. Another drug had a few nasty side effects causing a sore throat and drying out my skin. Nothing that a few narcotics couldn't handle. I had a low fever one night but that didn't last.
I was so worried after my last hospital stay that I would exit here emaciated. That didn't happen. I somehow managed to gain weight.

5 comments:

  1. wow your doctor's are good....keep on rockin in the free world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fantastic Mike! Or is it Fantastic Mike! In either case I'm on my feet pumpin' my fist for ya. "ya baby, ya baby, I like it, I like it." Keep it up man.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,
    This is exactly the news we all expected! Congrats to both you and Billy. It was sooooo good to see you two weeks ago in excellent spirits in that hospital room. So glad you can now say goodbye to the hospital.
    Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this and their were tears (of joy) laughing, shaking my head (so amazing) and thankful. You are such a good writer. Did you know this before?
    We are so happy for you and Billie and Maura and the whole clan.
    xxxxoooo
    Fran and Jim too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with all your other friends and fam. So happy to hear of your amazing recovery. I have no doubt it is due to your continued activity - bike, etc...and general good health for your whole life.

    ReplyDelete