Thursday, November 5, 2009

Today is Day Zero

I just received the stem cells from Maura. Thank you Maura. They came in a small bag similar to a transfusion bag. In less than a half hour they were infused into me. Mauras' cells are now making their way through my bloodstream towards my bone marrow where they will generate new blood and a new immune system. I can't say I feel anything yet. I will be on immunosuppressants for a while until they am sure this transplant takes. I am told that Maura is a 100% match. There is still a good chance that I will have some kind of Graft Versus Host Disease but I will most likely be mild in the form of a skin rash.
This is what they call day zero. My remaining life will be counted from this day on. It is kind of like a new birthday.
So far my stay here at UCSF has been uneventful. The staff has been very professional and knowledgeable. I have met a few of the other patients while walking the halls here. It is apparent that cancer does not have any preference for age, sex or race. I have experienced very little side effects from my recent round of chemo. The worst is a slight loss of appetite and a small bit of nausea.
I have been riding a stationary bike every day and walking the halls. Other than that there is not much action here. Volunteers deliver the SF Chronicle to me in the morning. The Chronicle barely resembles the Chronicle I grew up with. Leah Garchik tries to be Herb Caen but not quite.
Billie and I are still looking for a place to stay close by. We have a few likely prospects. Depending on how my transplant behaves I may be discharged in about three weeks. They will first have to observe my blood counts going up at least to a level where I am not neutropenic. My blood counts will continue to drop another week before they are expected to start rising. During that time I will be extremely susceptible to opportunistic infections. I won't be allowed visitors except Billie for a little while. I will let you know when my counts are up enough to have visitors.

Take Care

No comments:

Post a Comment