Friday, January 22, 2010

No News on Day 76





Craigslist Corporate Headquarters
9th Ave between Irving and Judah.

This is day 76 out from my bone marrow transplant. At the clinic today my blood counts were in the normal range for the first time in months. My platelets are still a little low and I have no t cells but the rest of the blood is coming along fine. Everything is where it is supposed to be at this time. In two weeks I will be due for my first bone marrow biopsy since October. If the cancer is coming back then the biopsy will tell. Even if there is a little cancer we hope the graft from Maura will eat it up. The strategy is to give Mauras' cells a longer leash by reducing the immune suppressant drugs. It will be graft versus leukemia or GVL as they say. The best outcome would be no detectable cancer in the biopsy. We will know in about 3 weeks.
I have symptoms of GVH in my skin and gut. I am not sure what is making me feel weird. Is it the drug side effects, the GVH or a combination?
My appetite is still behaving peculiar. Certain foods still have no appeal that used to sound good. I do like fruit. I am eating lots of frozen tropical fruit from Trader Joe's and frozen strawberries. I still can eat beans in soup and chili. Pizza and pasta are unappetizing for some reason.


Billie at Baker Beach

After we visit the clinic we often meander about town looking at the local sights. Today we visited Baker Beach and toured the Richmond District. Billie bought a few take out meat pies from a bakery on Irving St. That is as close as we can get to eating out. We save lots of money not eating out these days. We like to eat at restaurants but that will have to wait.
I love all the rain we have been getting. Tomorrow we will check our Bolete spot to see if there are any more coming up. I have my camera with me now so I will be able to post more photos. I wish I had my camera when we found the boletes the first time. They are so beautiful. It is also the best time to find Blewits which are another one of my favorite edibles. Mushrooms make good photo subjects because they stand still and don't blow in the wind.


This is a little bungalow
between Irving and Lincoln on 42nd Ave
Click on photos for a larger view

No comments:

Post a Comment