Wednesday, January 27, 2010


Billie emerges from the Doghouse Bar on El Camino Real.
It is so convenient that it's open at 0600 AM.

Daily life in the apartment complex is almost a routine now. I am familiar with the limited broadcast options for daytime TV. About the only thing I like all day is Perry Mason at noon followed by Americas' Test Kitchen on PBS. I like the cars and outfits on the Perry Mason show. The series is classic film noir style with lots of drinking and cigarettes. Billie works most of the day on her laptop and I try to keep quiet. While I write now I am catching up on The Colbert Report online with earphones on. In the background there are the reports of a lot of shooters at the rifle range. The sun is out now that the fog has dissipated. It's a nice day to be outside shooting.
We have clinic twice a week where we go and have blood drawn for several tests. We then wait for a meeting with a nurse practitioner and sometimes the doctor. At the clinic we go over the test results and adjust the levels of certain medications. I answer a series of questions about how I feel and I undergo a minor examination checking for signs of Graft Versus Host Disease among other things. Clinic visits last anywhere between four to six hours.
The drugs I am taking cause a lot of side effects that mostly effect my stomach. I am also taking steroids that can cause wasting after long periods. I am told that I will be on the steroids for at least four more months. I can see how easy it would be to just sit around and waste away losing weight, not eating and not exercising. The inclination to vegetate is pretty strong. I feel like I am coasting on the strength I built up last fall. Any strength I gain is from our daily two mile walks to Ft Funston.

This is the view from a deck near the hanglider launching area at Ft Funston.


I am walking pretty slow these days. Billie has to check her pace. We often sit on the park benches and watch the dogs romping and the ocean. Feeling so weak all the time is one of the most difficult things for me to accept. I am very aware how I must look when I slowly shuffle along. I did manage to pass one guy on the trail last week who had a broken leg.
Over the weekend we did more exploring the vicinity. We checked our mushroom spots but didn't find much except for a few nice Amanita muscarias.


The Fly Agaric

Billie and I are still astounded by all of the homes in San Francisco and the vicinity. Billies loves to drive block by block and find nice jewel houses in the neighborhoods. It is obvious that certain builders developed a lot of the neighborhoods. You can tell by the style of each builder where he was in the neighborhood.






This is another Home on 42nd near the one I posted last week. It was probably by the same builder. Click on the Photo to see details.

2 comments:

  1. Great photos and thanks for the update. Your willingness to share what you're going through on such an intimate level amazes me. Every time I read your blog I am filled with concern for you and joy at how you manage to make the best of the toughest situation imaginable. You are truly inspirational.
    xoxo
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michael, for the update. I ditto the comment above.
    I love the photos too. The houses are wonderful and one of my favorites is the "Fly Agaria" (sp?). It almost doesn't look real. It could have been painted with cadmium red lite and textured with some of our art supplies. It still wouldn't be as beautiful though as the real thing. Always the case.
    The most beautiful subject in your photos though is Billie!
    Fran xxxxoooo to you both.

    ReplyDelete