Monday, February 1, 2010

I Have My Camera With Me Now


I liked this donut sign on Chestnut and Steiner.

This morning I was supposed to have a bone marrow biopsy. Someone dropped the ball and didn't correctly schedule an appointment for me. All I had was a note scribbled by an assistant doctor on one of the doctors' cards. That wasn't good enough this morning. The nurse practitioner was very apologetic and we were rescheduled to have the biopsy done this coming Friday. Oh well. I am optimistic but waiting for results are a little unsettling. The biopsy will be the best way to find out if there is still Leukemia in my marrow. I should know preliminary results that afternoon and cytogenetic results in about three weeks. The cytogenetics should tell me if the scary FLT3/ITD gene is still active.
There is a lot of reason to be optimistic. The drugs I am taking seem to be controlling my GVH symptoms. I am getting used to the side effects like sore tingling feet, fatigue and an unsettled stomach. There is no detectable Leukemia in my blood. I feel good in spite of it all and I can detect steady improvement. My taste and smell seems to be almost back to normal and I don't have the chronic nausea that I had. The test results will help determine my routine for at least the next three months.
Wednesday will be day 90 since my transplant. It is kind of a milestone for many patients because if all goes well I could be sent home. Kit and Gene will be here over the weekend to help Billie and I move out of San Francisco. Kit will be my substitute caretaker while Billie enjoys a break and the company of my sisters for the annual sisters weekend.
We did our weekend tourist excursions, this time to Twin Peaks and Cow Hollow where we got out and walked about.



Billie poses on Twin Peaks


A little sunflower on Twin Peaks

In Buena Vista Park today I found an interesting mushroom. It was an edible Amanita calyptroderma. It can be recognized by the thick veil remnants on the cap and striations on the cap margin. It is also known as the Cocorra. I haven't tried to eat it yet but I see it often enough to recognize it right away. These specimens today were perfect for the table.





This is a house a block off of Buena Vista Park. We saw the owner walking his two King Charles Cavalier Spaniels in the park. Later we saw him again coming back from his walk when we were admiring his house. We found out that it was built in 1916. The architect was most likely Julia Morgan. The dormers on the side are clad in slate.


This house is on Masonic and Upper Terrace.

This view show the slate on the dormers.
Click on any photo to see more details.
To zoom, use the enlarge text function on the browser

1 comment:

  1. mushrooms in San Fransisco? Only Mike Callaghan could come up that!

    Best Wishes,

    Bary and the gang (a big one!) at Incline

    ReplyDelete